Skip to main content

Income tax

In Canada, completing an income tax form and sending it to the government is referred to as filing a tax return. You must file a tax return if you:

  • Are a student residing in Canada?
  • Earned income from employment.
  • Received a scholarship, bursary or fellowship while in Canada.

By filing your tax return, you are often eligible for a refund if you have had any of the following income or expenses during the tax year:

  • Income such as Tutorial Assistant (TA), Resident Advisor (RA) or other jobs on or off-campus 
  • Rent expenses off campus.
  • Scholarships (university-issued T4A slip).
  • Tuition (you must get a T2202A form issued by the university).
  • Goods and Services Tax (GST)/Harmonized sales tax (HST) credit.
  • RC62 - You may be eligible to receive RC62 Universal Child Care Benefit if your spouse or children live with you in Canada.


In Canada, the tax year goes from January 1 to December 31. Income tax forms must be completed and submitted by April 30 of the following year. For example, you must file for 2018 tax year (January 1 to December 31, 2018) by April 30, 2019.

Volunteer Tax Clinics

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) organizes volunteer tax preparation clinics each year. To find out the location of the clinics nearest you where you can get help with your tax documents and filing your tax returns, visit the CRA website. 

On-Campus Tax Clinics

The Business and Information Technology Society (BITSoc) runs free tax-filing clinics on campus every March.

2019 Tax Clinics

Where: Energy Systems and Nuclear Science Research Centre (ERC) 1094


    • March 4
    • March 6
    • March 11
    • March 13
    • March 18
    • March 20

Time: 5-8pm (no appointment needed)

If you have any questions about these clinics or the presentation, contact


  1. A Social Insurance Number (SIN) (and if applicable) OR an Individual Tax Number (ITN) - ONLY if you do not have a SIN
    • Instructions on how to receive your SIN can be found on our website under Working in Canada 
  2. T4 Slips - Statement of Remuneration Paid
    • Income you have earned will be provided by your employer
    • If you worked on-campus you can find this on your MyCampus account
  3. T4A Slips - Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
    • This is used for any awards, bursaries and/or scholarships you have received.
    • If you received bursaries/scholarships from UOIT, you can receive your T4A slip on your MyCampus account
  4. T2202A Slip - Tuition and Enrolment Certificate
    • This can be found on your MyCampus account
  5. Rent receipts if you live off campus.
  6. T3 or T5 forms if you earned interest on investments and deposits (issued by banking and financial institutions)
  7. Medical expenses that are not paid by your health insurance
  8. Charitable donations - ensure to bring your tax receipts that are provided by the charity

For more information on how to receive your T2202A, T4, T4A slips on your MyCampus account you can refer to the Office of Registrar website. 

You can refer to the CRA website for more information on other documents you can bring to the tax clinic. 

International students are responsible for filing their own taxes, much like domestic students and other Canadian permanent residents and citizens.

Canada Revenue Agency

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is the government body that oversees tax filing in Canada.  

Contact the CRA directly if you want to:

  • Determine your residency status in Canada for tax filing purposes.
  • Find out if there are any tax treaties between Canada and your home country that will affect you.
  • Inquire about your past tax returns or documents received by the CRA.

Professional accountants

You will want to go to an accounting firm (such as H&R Block) or visit a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA). There are dozens in the Oshawa area you can search for. You will want to ask for their rates to compare costs of service.

The Business and Information Technology Society (BITSoc)

The members of The Business and Information Technology Society (BITSoc) are students at our university. They are available as a resource and starting point. 

Contact them at

Tax Clinics

Volunteer tax preparation clinics can be held at any time during the year, however, most clinics are offered in March and April. If you miss the tax clinics happening at UOIT, there are community organizations that offer tax clinics regularly.

Find a tax clinic in your area.