Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number you need to work and file taxes in Canada. There is no fee to apply for a SIN.

As a temporary resident, you will be issued a temporary SIN that starts with the number 9

You are responsible for protecting your SIN. Store any documents containing your SIN and personal information in a safe place—do not keep your SIN with you.

Frequently asked questions

Where can I apply for my SIN?

Service Canada is a government agency that issues SINs. 

To get a SIN you can either:

  • Visit the Service Canada location in person to get your SIN. To find the Service Canada location nearest to you and its hours of operation, visit the Service Canada website. 
  • Visit the SIN Clinics hosted on-campus. Information will be sent in your email to all upcoming clinics.
What documents do I need to apply for my SIN?
  • Valid study permit* or work permit. 
  • Passport or government-issued identification (travel document).
  • Proof of address

You can find a list of other documents you can bring on the Service Canada website. 

*In order to be used as your primary document, your study permit must state one of the following conditions on it:
  • May work in Canada.
  • May accept employment in Canada.
  • Eligible to work in Canada.
How do I extend my SIN?

Temporary SINs will have expiration dates based on your status document expiration (i.e. your SIN will expire with your study permit). If you get a new status document, you can extend your SIN. There is no charge to extending your SIN.  

If you extend your status document or get a new one (study permit or Post-Graduation Work Permit), you will also want to extend your SIN. To do so, take your new status document and other required documents to Service Canada.  

Will my employer hire me with an expired SIN?

They should. You can direct your employer to Employer information - Social Insurance Number (SIN) or The Social Insurance Number Code of Practice Section 3 - Employers' responsibilities for guidance.