Skip to main content
Service notice A widespread outage affecting Microsoft customers is impacting some of our Ontario Tech systems. Our IT team is currently assessing its impact and more information will be shared as it is available. The university remains open, and classes are operating as scheduled.


International students

Student exchange

Visiting scholars

  • What is a visiting scholar program?

    “Visiting Scholars” are individuals who are either faculty, students (undergraduate or graduate) or partner university staff who are interested in conducting research and working at the university with a non-paid appointment, for a limited period of time under the supervision of an Ontario Tech University faculty member.

  • What are the categories of Visiting Scholars?

    Visiting Student        – An undergraduate or graduate student at another institution.

    Visiting Professor     – A faculty member at another organization or institution.

    Visiting Staff             – A staff member at another organization or institution.

    Note: Each category has a different application and eligibility requirements and conditions may apply.

  • Do visiting scholars receive any type of remuneration?

    The visiting scholar appointment is non-paid. As non-employees, they have no teaching or other responsibilities and are not entitled to a salary.

  • Can I request for reimbursement of expenses?

    Reimbursement of expenses can be paid by the host supervisor at their discretion.

    Eligible claims may be approved for incidental costs or expenses related to: Travel, Accommodations and meals and Medical Insurance.  All reimbursements will require submission of original receipts.

  • How long can my visit to the university be for?

    Up to one year (renewable) to a maximum of 2 years.

  • Do I receive a credit for my visit?

    No, this is a non-credit appointment with no course registration

  • Do I need any Canadian immigration documents to be able to start my research work in Canada?

    All international visiting appointees at Ontario Tech University must hold the necessary authorization from Immigration and Refugee Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to enter and stay in Canada during the period of their appointment and must abide by the terms and conditions therein.

     About the immigration process:

    1. If the visit is for less than 120 days the Visiting Scholar may be exempt of a Work Permit under the Short-term (120-day) work permit exemption for researchers.
    2. If the visit is over 120 days a Work Permit will be required. More information can be found on the IRCC website.

    Both options will also require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an eTA. More information can be found on the IRCC website.


        • It is the sole responsibility of the visiting appointees to ensure that the immigration documentation is valid, up-to-date, accurate, and truthful.
        • Appointments for visiting scholars who lose their authorization to stay or work in Canada for any reason whatsoever will cease on the effective date that authorization expires or is terminated.
        • Visiting appointees are responsible for providing documentation to support their ability to work in Canada upon request and they are responsible for all costs associated with the proper authorization from IRCC.