Skip to main content

Immigration status

Once you have received your Letter of Acceptance from our university, you will need to get your study permit and visa (if applicable).

Exchange students may not require a study permit. 

Immigration overview

There are three main categories of people in Canada: citizens, permanent residents, and temporary residents. A temporary resident is a foreign national who is legally allowed to enter and remain in Canada for temporary purposes.

As a temporary resident, your immigration status might be one of the following:

  • visitor 
  • student
  • worker
  • temporary resident permit holder

Depending on what you want to do while in Canada, you would need a different temporary resident status document. For example, you might need a study permit, work permit, temporary resident visa (TRV), visitor record, or a temporary resident permit.