Skip to main content
Service notice A widespread outage affecting Microsoft customers is impacting some of our Ontario Tech systems. Our IT team is currently assessing its impact and more information will be shared as it is available. The university remains open, and classes are operating as scheduled.

What to pack

There are many things to remember when you are moving to a new country. We're here to help! Use our checklist to help you pack for your new adventure in Canada. Please note that this list does not include everything you may need, it is to be used as a guide.



  • Required documents

    First-year international students

    • A valid travel document, such as a passport.
    • A valid Temporary Resident visa (also referred to as a Canadian entry visa), Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), green card (or equivalent official proof of U.S. status) or another valid travel document. -  Find out if you need a visa.
    • Letter of introduction - confirming your study permit was approved, unless you don’t need one
    • Valid letter of Acceptance from Ontario Tech University (University of Ontario Institute of Technology).
    • Proof of adequate funds for your stay in Canada. Learn more about proof of financial support.
    • Your birth certificate.
    • The address of the place you will be staying (temporarily or permanently).
    • Medical exam (if applicable) - is valid for 12 months from the day you get it. It must be valid when you enter Canada and if it is not you will need to get another medical exam.
    • no criminal or immigration-related convictions (unless pardon has been granted or deemed rehabilitated). 
    • Any other documents recommended by the visa office that processed your study permit application.
    • Documentation for your family - If your family is joining you to Canada, ensure they have the right documentation before entering Canada.

    More information can be found on the IRCC website

    Returning international students

    Important: Always carry these documents with you and do not put them in your checked luggage. 

  • Suggested documents
    • Driver's license (especially if you intend on getting a Canadian license) and driving history
    • Immunization record 
    • Prescription drugs, medication, and glasses (if applicable) 
    • Medical report - recommended in case you need them 
    • Marriage certificate and/or proof of common-law status (if applicable)
    • Electronics 
    • A list, in duplicate or digital copies, of all items you are bringing with you to Canada, including the approximate value of each item and serial numbers, where applicable.
    This information and more can also be found on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's Study in Canada page.

Other items

  • What else should you pack?

    This is our suggested checklist on what to purchase or pack with you! These can be purchased in Canada as well, but it’s important to have some items that are listed below as it may take a while for you to purchase these.  

    • Money - pack enough Canadian cash for immediate expenses. 

    • Power adapters for your devices.

    • Canada's electrical supply and electrical outlets (sockets, wall plugs) are the same as those in the United States. The electrical supply is 110 volts and 60 hertz (cycles per second).

    • Pack for the Canadian weather - Please remember that you can buy most things in Canada! 
      • Canada has four seasons, so make sure you pack for warm, cool and cold weather. Whatever season you arrive in, be prepared for the weather at that time. Check out The Weather Network for typical temperatures throughout the year. 
      • Spring (March to May) and fall (September to November) are cool with temperatures ranging from 7 to 20 degrees Celsius.
      • Summer in Canada (June to August) can range from 20 to 30 degrees Celsius.
      • Winter (December to February) can be quite cold with temperatures ranging from -25 to 5 degrees Celsius. 
    • In your carry-on pack, two sets of clothes in case your luggage gets lost. 

    • Phone - make sure it’s unlocked so you can use another company’s cell phone service on your old phone. 

    • Items that remind you of home.

    • Bringing your own vehicle 
      •  If you are importing the vehicle, there are restrictions and requirements you must meet. To find out about what you must do before you try and import your car, visit the Transport Canada website.
      • You will be required to register your car at Service Ontario which is the government agency responsible for vehicle registration.
    Check out the residence website for more information on what to bring on move-in day.
  • Checklist
    We have created a downloadable checklist to help organize some of the important items you should pack. Download yours now!

Things to do before coming to Canada

  • Verify your luggage restrictions with your airline

    Each airline has different rules about how much luggage you are allowed to have and the cost of extra baggage. Please note: If you have any connecting flights, it's a good idea to carry your valuables in your carry-on luggage.

    Read the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) on what is and is not permitted through Customs.

  • Banking and credit cards
    Contact your home bank

    Speak with your bank before you leave your home country. If you make arrangements, you may be able to use your bank card in Canada at certain banks. If your family plans to send you money, you might be able to arrange for them to put money into your account at home, which you can then access in Canada. If you don't make these arrangements, your family will have to send money by wire transfer to your Canadian bank account. You must pay fees to make wire transfers.

    Contact your credit card company

    Bring your credit card(s) but make sure you tell your credit card company that you will be in Canada.

    Exchange money to Canadian dollars

    The exchange rate you can get at your own bank back home or at the airport in your home country will likely be better than what you are given after you arrive in Canada. We recommended that you travel with at least $500 to $1,000 on you unless you have transferred money to a Canadian bank. 

    Do not keep all your cash in one place. Consider splitting it between your luggage, carry-on luggage and keeping it on you.