Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Outbound exchange frequently asked questions

  • Why should I consider doing an international exchange?
    • Participating in an international exchange is a unique learning experience.
    • Students are able to learn about another culture, country, and language.
    • Students are able to compare and contrast academic knowledge and enhance or gain a global perspective.
    • It is a valuable experience that can be applied to all levels of academic, personal and professional growth.
  • Where can I go?

    Students are able to apply to any of the Ontario Tech University international exchange partners. A list of current partners can be found under International Education tab. The partner list can change over time, so students should refer to this list frequently for updates.

  • What will be the language of instruction?

    It is important that students research the institution and courses they are interested in studying to confirm the language of instruction. The Ontario Tech University website will state the primary language of instruction. Students will need to confirm the courses selected are in the desired language of their choice.

  • When can I do an international exchange?

    Students can do an international exchange once they have completed two years of study at a Canadian university. Generally, the exchange will occur during the third or fourth year. It is important for students to review their academic requirements before pursuing the international exchange application.

    International exchanges can begin in any semester. Students will find they have more courses to choose from in the fall and winter. If a student is interested in participating in an exchange during the summer semester, he or she must research the partner institution to find out which courses, if any, are offered during that time.

  • What is an international exchange partner?

    An international exchange partner is a university outside of Canada that has signed an exchange agreement with Ontario Tech University. In this agreement, both parties have decided to participate in an academic exchange for a period of time. The agreement generally ranges from three to five years and is faculty-specific. The partner university is able to send students to our university, and our students are able to study at the partner institution. This agreement enables students to study at an international institution while maintaining their status with our university. Students continue to pay Ontario Tech University tuition and are not considered international students.

  • Do I have to go to an exchange partner institution?

    Ontario Tech University students do not have to do an exchange at a partner institution. If a student decides to study at an institution our university does not have an exchange agreement with, the student will be subject to international student fees. In addition, the student will have to request a Letter of Permission (LOP). If approved, this letter will permit students to leave Ontario Tech University for a period of time to study elsewhere.

    Learn how to apply for a Letter of Permission.

  • How long can I go for?

    Students have the opportunity to participate in an international exchange for one or two semesters, depending on their academic requirements. They should discuss their exchange and academic requirements and options with their faculty. Depending on the course offered at the partner institutions, students may be limited on how many courses they are able to transfer towards their Ontario Tech University degree.

    Our university currently has agreements that allow students to study abroad for:

    • eight weeks (summer institutes only)
    • four months
    • eight months
  • How much will it cost?

    Students will continue to pay their Ontario Tech University tuition when participating in an international exchange with a partner university. Please review scholarships and costs. The additional costs a student may incur while participating in an exchange could include, but are not limited to:

    • visa/passport fees
    • immunization/medication and extended health insurance
    • flight and transportation arrangements
    • accommodations and living expenses
    • personal expenses
  • Are there any scholarships or bursaries I can apply for?

    Yes, students are able to apply for Ontario Tech University's International Education Scholarship. Our university is pleased to provide allocated funding through the support of the International Education Scholarships for students completing part of their academic program abroad through their faculty with approval.

    This scholarship will provide eligible students with financial support for a set period of academic study, work term or co-op placement outside of Canada. Please refer to the scholarships and bursaries page for award value and eligibility requirements.

  • Are students allowed to apply for OSAP while going on an international student exchange program?

    Yes, domestic students that are OSAP eligible can apply for OSAP while going on an International student Exchange program however please note:

      • Students need to have their Ontario Tech enrollment showing as FT (60% course load - or 40% course load for students that have a permanent, persistent or prolonged disability approved by OSAP).

    If you have any questions please contact SAFA directly at

  • Can I earn course credits?

    Students are able to earn credits that can be transferred towards an Ontario Tech University degree if the course credits are approved by their faculty. They should contact designated faculty members with the name of the international institution, the program, and the courses of interest. Following faculty approval, Academic Advisors will be able to assist students in deciding if the exchange course work and the faculty approval will allow them to graduate. 

  • How will the courses I take abroad show on my Ontario Tech transcript?

    The course details from the exchange university will not show up on your Ontario Tech transcript.

    • For a transfer course deemed equivalent to an Ontario Tech core course, it will be listed as normal, with the exception of the standard letter grade and instead it will note a “T” for “Transfer”.
    • For transfer courses deemed equivalent to an elective course at Ontario Tech, they will be listed simply as electives.

    For example:

    Partner institution courses:

    • MATH XYZ – final grade B (core Ontario Tech)
    • SOCI XYZ  - final grade A+ (elective Ontario Tech)

    The Ontario Tech transcript would read:

    • MATH 1010U – Grade T
    • UNSP 1XXX – Grade T (that’s our code for electives)

    Note: A full description of the courses completed abroad will be available through your host university official transcript.

  • Can I go on an exchange as a part-time student?

    International exchanges are only for full-time Ontario Tech University students. This is a requirement stated in the international exchange agreements. Please contact the International Education department for further information.

  • When should I apply?

    Please refer to the application deadlines. Partner institutional deadlines for nominations and application may vary. If a student is interested in doing an exchange, it is important that they contact the International Education department or attend an Outbound Exchange Information Session. Students should consider which semester would work best for doing an exchange, and when the specific courses they require are offered. Courses for your exchange may be chosen two to three months before departure. Schools release their course offerings at different times. It would be helpful to refer to courses offered in the previous academic year.

  • What is the application process?

    Please refer to the outbound exchange application process section of our website.

  • Can I do an exchange with a friend?

    All Ontario Tech University students who would like to participate in an international exchange during their third or fourth year of study are welcome to apply for an exchange through the International Education department. Applying does not mean a student will be nominated. Student nominations for an exchange are based on academic standing, faculty requirements, availability and individual motivation. If students would like to go on an exchange with a friend(s), they are welcome to go through the application process. There are no guarantees a suitable match will be found and a nomination given based on social request. The exchanges offered at Ontario Tech University are founded on the primary focus of academic priority.

  • Can I do my placement on an exchange?

    Students can do an international placement at a partner institution if approved by their faculty. International placement opportunities may vary depending on program requirements. Student must discuss placement options and requirements with the placement co-ordinator within their faculty.

  • Where will I live during my exchange?

    Every international institution has different arrangements for exchange student accommodations. Students should research the institution of choice and inquire about on- and off-campus housing options.

  • What does it mean to be nominated?

    To be nominated for an international exchange means the International Education department has reviewed your application, course requirements, study plan and faculty approval, and has agreed that the student would be a prominent candidate for an exchange at the desired institution. At that point, the International Education department will contact the host university and officially nominate the student for the course and program he or she applied for.

  • How do I apply to the host institution?

    Once a student has been nominated, he or she will need to apply to the host institution by the application deadline. Application processed vary depending on the university. Please refer to your school of choice to learn more about its exchange application process.

  • How long does the application process take?

    Students must give themselves enough time to learn as much as they can about the options available to them, the courses that are offered, and their program requirements. Please refer to the International Education deadlines for submitting outbound exchange applications. These deadlines are flexible but are suggested as a guide to support students in the application process. An important factor to consider is the time it takes to find appropriate faculty-approved courses.

  • How should I prepare for my exchange?