Skip to main content
Service notice A widespread outage affecting Microsoft customers is impacting some of our Ontario Tech systems. Our IT team is currently assessing its impact and more information will be shared as it is available. The university remains open, and classes are operating as scheduled.

Filing Taxes in Canada

In Canada, completing an income tax form and sending it to the government is referred to as filing a tax return. You must file a tax return if any of the following apply to you :

  • Student residing in Canada. You can find more information on your residential ties to Canada on the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website.
  • Earned income from employment.
  • Received a scholarship, bursary or fellowship while in Canada.
  • Want to be eligible for tax benefits and credits.

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is the government body that oversees tax filing in Canada.  

Contact the CRA directly if you want to:

  • Determine your residency status in Canada for tax filing purposes.
  • Find out if there are any tax treaties between Canada and your home country that will affect you.
  • Inquire about your past tax returns or documents received by the CRA. 

Canadian Tax System

  • What are the benefits of filing taxes in Canada?

    By filing your tax return, you may be eligible (but not limited to) for a tax credit if you have had any of the following income or expenses during the tax year:

    • Income such as Tutorial Assistant (TA), Resident Advisor (RA) or other jobs on or off campus.
    • Rent expenses off campus.
    • Scholarships (university-issued T4A slip).
    • Tuition (you must get a T2202A form issued by the university).
    • Goods and Services Tax (GST)/Harmonized sales tax (HST) credit.
    • RC62 - You may be eligible to receive the RC62 Universal Child Care Benefit if your spouse or children live with you in Canada.
  • What is the deadline to file taxes?
    In Canada, the tax year goes from January 1 to December 31. Income tax forms must be completed and submitted by April 30 of the following year. For example, you must file for the 2021 tax year—which is January 1 to December 31, 2021—by April 30, 2022.
  • What documents do I need when filing taxes?

    The documents you may need while filing your taxes can vary. Generally, the documents you will need are the ones mentioned on the list below. You can also refer to the CRA website for more information on other documents you can bring to the tax clinic.

    1. A Social Insurance Number (SIN) (and if applicable) OR an Individual Tax Number (ITN) - ONLY if you do not have a SIN. Instructions on how to receive a SIN can be found on our website in the Working in Canada section.
    2. T4 Slips - Statement of Remuneration Paid
      • The income slip you have earned will be provided by your employer.
      • If you worked on-campus you can find this on your MyOntarioTech account.
    3. T4A Slips - Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
      • This is used for any awards, bursaries and/or scholarships you have received.
      • If you received bursaries/scholarships from Ontario Tech, you can receive your T4A slip on your MyOntarioTech account.
    4. T2202A Slip - Tuition and Enrolment Certificate
    5. Rent receipts if you live off-campus.
    6. T3 or T5 forms if you earned interest on investments and deposits (issued by banking and financial institutions).
    7. Medical expenses that are not paid by your health insurance.
    8. Charitable donations - ensure to bring your tax receipts that are provided by the charity.

    For more information on how to receive your T2202A, T4, T4A slips on your MyOntarioTech account, visit the Office of the Registrar's tax information page

Tax Filing Support

International students are responsible for filing their own taxes, much like domestic students and other Canadian permanent residents and citizens.