Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Immigration information for inbound exchange

Study permits and other travel documentation

Immigration Canada considers exchange students to be visiting students and are not subject to any tuition fees from the host institution, as these fees are covered by an exchange agreement between the host and home institution. In most cases, exchange students do not require a study permit since their length of stay is usually less than six months (one semester). However, you may still apply for a study permit if you like. For programs of six months or longer in duration (two semesters), exchange students must apply for a study permit.  

After the university has received and assessed the exchange application, the university sends accepted students an official letter of admission. You will require this letter to get a Canadian study permit and/or electronic travel authorization (eTA)/temporary resident visa (TRV). Visit our Immigration Documents webpage to view more information on each of these travel documents and steps on how to apply.

What is a study permit?

A study permit is a document that gives you permission to remain in Canada for a temporary period of time for the purpose of studying at designated learning institutions (DLIs).

Should I apply for a study permit?

Exchange students coming to Ontario Tech for one semester do not require a study permit however it is highly recommended. Having a study permit will allow you to work while studying at Ontario Tech, if you choose. It will also allow you to easily extend your stay for one extra semester, provided all applicable approvals are in place with your home university and Ontario Tech. If you apply as a visitor for a study permit to extend your stay for one more semester at Ontario Tech, you will not be able to start studying until a study permit is received.  For reference you can check immigration processing times on the IRCC website.

Applying for a study permit

Required documents
To apply for a study permit, you will need to get the correct documents. Please visit the Government of Canada’s Get your study permit web page for information on how to apply for a study permit, what to do after you apply and how to prepare for your arrival.

How to apply
You can apply for a study permit online or, under exceptional circumstances by mail. To apply online, you need to have electronic copies of your documents and a valid credit card for payments. To apply on paper, you need to visit a Visa Application Centre (VAC) and ask for an application package. 

Note: If you are extending your stay and you do not already have a study permit, we will require a copy of your study permit before the start of the subsequent semester.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need a study permit for a one semester exchange at Ontario Tech?

    Exchange students coming to Ontario Tech for one semester do not require a study permit since their length of stay is less than six months. However, students can still apply for a study permit if they like.

    For programs of six months or longer in duration (i.e. two semesters), exchange students must apply for a study permit.

    Reasons you may want to get a study permit even if you don't need one:

    • If you choose to stay another academic semester you can apply for an extension of your study permit and continue studying.
    • You can work off-campus.
  • Can I work during my exchange period at Ontario Tech?

    Students participating in exchange programs are only eligible to work off campus if they hold a study permit which must include the appropriate work authorization conditions.

  • Can I extend my stay for one more semester?

    If you initially applied to attend for one semester and would like to stay for a second semester, you may apply for an extension however a study permit will be required.

    • If you already have a study permit it will have to be extended.
    • If you do NOT have a study permit, you are authorized to apply for a study permit from within Canada under subsection R215(1)(f).
    • The study permit needs to be applied for as early as possible so it can be received prior to the start of the following semester.

    Note:  It will require a new Letter of Admission which is subject to the review and approval of a new application for the Student Exchange program at Ontario Tech.

  • If I applied to extend my exchange for another semester, when can I start my studies?

    Exchange students can begin their studies once they have submitted their study permit application, provided the application has been submitted before the expiry of their visitor status.

    Exchange students are required to cease studying if their study permit application is refused.