Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

It is mandatory for everyone studying or working at Ontario Tech University to have health insurance coverage. 

Permanent residents and Canadian citizens are typically eligible for provincial health care plans. If you are not eligible for a provincial health care plan, it is mandatory for you to have the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP).  UHIP coverage is similar to the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP), the provincial health insurance plan that Ontario residents are eligible for.

UHIP coverage is compulsory for all:

  • International students
  • International visiting scholars and researchers
  • Incoming exchange students
  • Recent permanent residents
  • Permanent residents and returning Canadian citizens in their three-month Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) waiting period
  • Eligible dependant family members of any of the persons above

To learn more, visit the UHIP website or contact

Accessing UHIP Coverage and Claims

  • UHIP Insurance Provider

    The UHIP insurance provider is Cowan. All registered international students receive communication to their student email account later in August with instructions on how to obtain their new coverage card for the 2023/2024 academic year. 

    Once you receive the Welcome email from Cowan Insurance, you will need to enter the following information to access your card:

    • Certificate number: Provided by Cowan in your Welcome email
    • First name (legal name)
    • Last name
    • Date of birth

    Note: When contacting the insurance provider, you may be asked to provide your member ID: IT and student number (e.g. IT100XXXXXX).

  • UHIP claims

    New students:

    • Submit your claim(s) directly to Cowan online. Visit the following link for instructions on how to submit a claim.
    • Your coverage is set to start when you arrive in Canada, or on the 10th of the month before your studies start, whichever is later.
      • September-start students are covered as early as August 10.
      • January-start students are covered as early as December 10.
      • May-start students are covered as early as April 10.

    Returning students:

    • Coverage is renewed prior to the beginning of every academic year (i.e. August) once you have registered in courses. 
    • Once coverage is renewed, you will receive an email to your account with access to your new coverage card.
    • Submit your claim(s) directly to Cowan online. Visit the following link for instructions on how to submit a claim.
    When contacting the insurance provider, you may be asked to provide your member ID: IT and student number (e.g. IT100XXXXXX).

UHIP Frequently Asked Questions

  • How much does UHIP cost?

    A UHIP charge is automatically added to the account of full-time international and exchange students registered in classes at Ontario Tech and paying international student tuition fees. The current fee amount can be found on the Ancillary fees page under International Health Insurance.

    If you require UHIP, but are not paying full-time international student tuition fees, please email to determine your eligibility and ensure you are charged fees appropriately. 

  • When does my UHIP coverage begin?

    Your UHIP coverage begins on the day you arrive in Canada, but not prior to the tenth of the month before you start your studies/work at Ontario Tech. Students must be registered for classes to be enrolled in UHIP.

    The earliest dates UHIP coverage can begin for new students are:

    • Fall term on August 10.
    • Winter term on December 10.
    • Spring/summer term on April 10.

    If you will arrive in Canada before your UHIP coverage can start, you are responsible for purchasing adequate private health insurance until you are eligible for UHIP. 

  • When does my health-care coverage end?

    You must be studying or working at Ontario Tech to have UHIP. The UHIP period is the same as the academic year. If you are enrolled for the entire academic year, your UHIP will expire on Saturday August 31, 2024.

    If you withdraw from classes, your UHIP will be terminated. 

    If you are returning to full-time studies and paying international student fees, you will be automatically re-enrolled starting September 1 and charged UHIP fees at the rate determined for the next academic year. You must print a new UHIP coverage card every September.

  • How do I get my UHIP coverage card?

    Check your email account for a Welcome email from Cowan Insurance with instructions on how to obtain your coverage card. You will need to enter the following information to access your card:

    • Certificate number: Provided by Cowan in your welcome email
    • First name (legal name)
    • Last name
    • Date of birth

    Once registered, students can access their coverage card and plan details on the Cowan portal.

    Carry your coverage card with you at all times in case of an emergency. Be prepared to present your UHIP coverage card every time you visit a doctor, clinic or hospital. 

    You need to download and print a new coverage card every September that you are returning to Ontario Tech.

  • How do I add a dependent, such as my spouse or children?

    If your spouse and/or children are accompanying you while you study/work at Ontario Tech, they must have health insurance just like you. To add your dependent (spouse or children) to your UHIP, email You must include your full name and your student number in your email.

    You will have to pay a $500 late fee if you do not enroll them within 30 days of their eligibility. There is no discount for the time they had no coverage if you enroll them late.

  • I am going on a co-op/internship. Can I still have UHIP?
    Students on a co-op or internship are eligible for UHIP however, you will not be automatically enrolled or charged UHIP fees. Please email at least one month before you start your co-op or internship to ensure you are enrolled and charged appropriate fees. Be sure to include your full name and student number in your email.
  • Where can I use my UHIP?

    Visit the UHIP website to find a doctor, hospital or clinic on their Preferred Provider Network. These health care providers have agreed to accept UHIP coverage cards and directly bill Cowan. It is recommended to use the Preferred Provider Network whenever possible. 

    If you must go to a doctor, hospital or clinic that is not a Preferred Provider, you may be required to pay upfront and then submit a claim to be reimbursed. You should bring a claim form with you which is available on the UHIP website.

    Other clinics are:

    • The Campus Health Centre (CHC), located in the Campus Recreation and Wellness Centre on the North campus of Ontario Tech. The CHC is open for virtual and in-person appointments.
    • Lakeridge Health is one of the largest community hospital networks in Ontario, with five hospitals, regional services and community locations.
    • The Oshawa Clinic Group is located close to the downtown Oshawa campus. Their Urgent Care Clinic provides acute care on a walk-in basis.
    • Telehealth Ontario is a free, confidential service you can call to get health advice or information. A Registered Nurse will take your call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
    • The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) is Canada's most research-intensive hospital and the largest centre dedicated to improving children's health in the country.  
  • Do I have UHIP coverage if I'm in Canada but residing outside of Ontario?

    Visit the UHIP website for information on claims processing outside of Ontario but within Canada. 

  • What is and isn’t covered by UHIP?

    UHIP is a basic emergency health insurance plan similar to OHIP. If something is not covered by UHIP (like prescription medicine), it may be covered by the Student Union's dental and health benefits plan.

    For general information on your UHIP coverage, visit or review frequently asked questions.

  • Why do I have/need two health insurance plans?
    UHIP covers costs like hospital visits and doctor services. The Student Union's health and dental benefits plan covers costs like prescriptions, dentist visits and travel. The two plans work together to give you comprehensive coverage. Become familiar with what is covered under both of your plans and make sure you carry your two coverage cards with you.
  • How do I make a claim?

    If you paid upfront or were billed for services covered by UHIP, you will need to make a claim to UHIP. Information on how to make a claim, what is covered under UHIP and how to set up direct deposit can be found at

    Make sure that you keep copies of your claim form and all receipts for your own records before you send anything to the insurance provider.

  • Can I opt out of UHIP?

    It is mandatory for everyone in Canada that is studying or working at Ontario Tech University to have health insurance coverage. This is why all international students are enrolled in UHIP while they are studying at Ontario Tech unless they are eligible for an exemption. 

    There are a limited number of exemptions from UHIP. If you are a government-sponsored student or a World University Services of Canada (WUSC) student, you may be eligible for an exemption

    If you are exempt from UHIP, it is very important that you use your alternative health insurance plan and not UHIP. If you use UHIP, you will be responsible for UHIP premiums. 

    If you are an Ontario Tech student studying in Canada and are not eligible for an exemption, you must be enrolled in UHIP.

  • I am not eligible for UHIP, what are my other options?

    If you are not eligible for UHIP and do not have provincial health insurance, it is your responsibility to research your options and buy a health insurance policy that meets your needs. The following list is meant only as a reference tool to help you start your search. It is not an endorsement by Ontario Tech.

  • I am an exchange student. Is UHIP the same for me?

    Yes, but you will be enrolled only for your exchange term. For example, if you are staying only for the fall term, you will be enrolled in UHIP until December. You can pay your UHIP fees upon arrival. Popular payment options for exchange students are through Flywire or PayMyTuition.

    You may want to purchase additional health insurance to supplement UHIP since you are not eligible for the Student Union's health and dental benefits plan.

  • I am paying domestic tuition fees, but need UHIP. How can I get UHIP?

    If you are paying domestic tuition fees, you will not be automatically enrolled or charged UHIP fees. To be enrolled and charged appropriate fees, contact Please include your full name and student number in your email. 

    If you are applying for UHIP during the OHIP three month wait period, please include this information in your email.

  • I am graduating. What do I need to do?

    UHIP is terminated when your last term ends unless you request a one-time extension by the deadline.

    Graduation month

    Extension request deadline


    August 31


    December 31


    April 30

    To request an extension on your coverage, email with your full name, student number and the reason you are requesting an extension.

    After your UHIP coverage has terminated, you are responsible for purchasing health insurance that meets your needs.