Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Immigration documents

Once you have received your offer of admission from our university, you will need to get your study permit.* 

study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows someone to study in Canada for a specified period of time. Learn more about the study permit.

temporary resident visa (TRV) is a visa sticker placed inside your passport that allows you to enter or re-enter Canada. To find out if you require a visa, visit the Immigration and Citizenship website

An electronic travel authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for travelers from visa-exempt countries who fly to or transit through Canada.  To find out if you require a visa, visit the Immigration and Citizenship website

Depending on where you are from, you may require an eTA or TRV and a study permit. To find out if you require a TRV or eTA to enter Canada, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

For your initial study permit application, you do not need to apply for your visa (TRV or eTA) separately. 

*Exchange students visiting for less than six months may not require a study permit. You may also need to get a visa.

BorderPass Partnership

To help make the process of applying for a study permit and visa easier we've partnered with BorderPass—a visa management platform to streamline the immigration process for you throughout your stay in Canada. 

With BorderPass, you will be provided with the following: 

  • Access to Canadian immigration lawyers for any questions you may have. 
  • Creation and management of your permanent residency pathway. 
  • Concierge services to ensure you have all the support you need. 
  • Guidance, building and review of visa applications by Canadian immigration lawyers. 
  • Notifications of key dates to apply for visa extensions, work permits and residency visas. 

To sign up with BorderPass and begin your application for the BorderPass Newcomer Pre-Arrival package, go to the BorderPass registration page to access Ontario Tech’s unique portal, and use the promo code ONTECH to unlock the preferred rate ($20.00 CAD + government fees). If you have any questions or concerns please contact BorderPass at

If you do not see your question listed below then you can contact us by:

Study permit introduction

  • What is a study permit?

    A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows someone to study in Canada for a specified period of time. In general, foreign nationals need study permits to study in Canada if they intend to study a course or a program for more than six months.

    Ontario Tech University's Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number is O19315945002. The university’s legal name is the University of Ontario Institute of Technology.

  • Who is exempt from a study permit?

    A foreign national can study without a study permit in Canada under the following conditions:

    • Duration of course or program of study is six months or less, and will be completed within the period of stay authorized upon entry into Canada. Example: if visiting on exchange and only studying at our university for one semester (four months).
    • Only engaging in distance-learning courses.
      • However, some distance learning courses include an in-Canada portion to the program (e.g., special tutorials or the writing of final exams). If the overall course of study is greater than six months, then the student requires a study permit for the in-Canada portion of the program, even if the in-Canada portion is less than six months. The duration of the study permit should be for the duration of the in-Canada portion only
    • Auditing courses (typically by sitting in on an academic course, but without obtaining credit for it, or having the ability to obtain credit for it retroactively).
    • Minor inside of Canada—visit IRCC to determine if you or your children(s) are considered minors, and are eligible to study without a study permit.

    To learn more about who needs a study permit and who does not, please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).  

    If you are exempt from obtaining a study permit, you may still be required to obtain a temporary resident visa (TRV) or electronic authorization (eTA) in order to travel to Canada.

  • Can I get a study permit if I am under 18 years old?

    You are considered a minor if you are 18 years or younger, therefore you will need a custodian. A custodian is a responsible adult, who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, who will take care of and support the minor child. A custodian is optional for minors 17 years of age and older, but an officer can request one on a case-by-case basis.

    You can read more on the Studying in Canada as a minor website.
  • With my courses fully online, do I still need a study permit if I am inside Canada?

    You are required to have a valid study permit throughout the duration of your program while you are in Canada. During academic sessions, you would still be required to comply with your study permit conditions.

Initial study permit application

Study permit extension

School transfer

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

  • When can I apply?

    Some requests can take several days to process if you're asked to submit supporting documents. It is best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.

    If you are a citizen of a country that requires an eTA and you are applying for an initial study permit from outside of Canada, an eTA will automatically be issued upon approval of your study permit application. Your eTA may be issued for the same duration as your approved study permit or a five year period.

  • How can I apply for an eTA?