Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Partners working in Canada

Your partner may be eligible to get an open work permit while you are here on a study permit.

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to get an open work permit while you are here on a study permit. Find out more about the application process on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website

If you hold a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and your spouse has an open work permit, you must attach the following documents to your spouse’s open work permit extension application:

  • Copy of your work permit.
  • Copy of your spouse’s work permit.
  • Copy of your spouse’s recent payslips.
  • Letter from your spouse’s current employer that confirms they work there in a National Occupation Classification (NOC) job group with skill level/type 0, A, or B; or a copy of your spouse’s employment offer or contract.

Your permit will not be valid longer than your spouse’s work permit. For more information on a spousal or common-law partner work permit, visit the Immigration, Refugee, Citizenship Canada website.