Skip to main content
COVID-19 information and screening. Learn how we’re keeping our campus community safe, healthy and engaged during our gradual return to campus.
Note: The university’s mandatory vaccine directive is now in effect. Learn more about vaccine requirements.
COVID-19 information and screening.

Learn how we’re keeping our campus community safe, healthy and engaged during our gradual return to campus.
Note: The university’s mandatory vaccine directive is now in effect. Learn more about vaccine requirements.

Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Filing Taxes in Canada

In Canada, completing an income tax form and sending it to the government is referred to as filing a tax return. You must file a tax return if you:

  • Are a student residing in Canada.
  • Earned income from employment.
  • Received a scholarship, bursary or fellowship while in Canada.

By filing your tax return, you are often eligible for a refund if you have had any of the following income or expenses during the tax year:

  • Income such as Tutorial Assistant (TA), Resident Advisor (RA) or other jobs on or off-campus .
  • Rent expenses off-campus.
  • Scholarships (university-issued T4A slip).
  • Tuition (you must get a T2202A form issued by the university).
  • Goods and Services Tax (GST)/Harmonized sales tax (HST) credit.
  • RC62 - You may be eligible to receive the RC62 Universal Child Care Benefit if your spouse or children live with you in Canada.

Canadian tax system

  • Deadline
    In Canada, the tax year goes from January 1 to December 31. Income tax forms must be completed and submitted by April 30 of the following year. For example, you must file for the 2021 tax year—which is January 1 to December 31, 2021—by April 30, 2022.
  • Tax filing documents
    What documents do you need when filing your taxes? 

    The documents you may need while filing your taxes can vary. Generally, the documents you will need are the ones mentioned on the list below. You can also refer to the CRA website for more information on other documents you can bring to the tax clinic.

    1. A Social Insurance Number (SIN) (and if applicable) OR an Individual Tax Number (ITN) - ONLY if you do not have a SIN. Instructions on how to receive a SIN can be found on our website in the Working in Canada section.
    2. T4 Slips - Statement of Remuneration Paid
      • The income slip you have earned will be provided by your employer.
      • If you worked on-campus you can find this on your MyCampus account.
    3. T4A Slips - Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
      • This is used for any awards, bursaries and/or scholarships you have received.
      • If you received bursaries/scholarships from Ontario Tech, you can receive your T4A slip on your MyCampus account.
    4. T2202A Slip - Tuition and Enrolment Certificate
      • This can be found on your MyCampus account.
    5. Rent receipts if you live off-campus.
    6. T3 or T5 forms if you earned interest on investments and deposits (issued by banking and financial institutions).
    7. Medical expenses that are not paid by your health insurance.
    8. Charitable donations - ensure to bring your tax receipts that are provided by the charity.

    For more information on how to receive your T2202A, T4, T4A slips on your MyCampus account, visit the Office of the Registrar's tax information page

Tax filing support

  • Canada Revenue Agency

    The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is the government body that oversees tax filing in Canada.  

    Contact the CRA directly if you want to:

    • Determine your residency status in Canada for tax filing purposes.
    • Find out if there are any tax treaties between Canada and your home country that will affect you.
    • Inquire about your past tax returns or documents received by the CRA. 
  • Volunteer tax clinics

    The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) organizes volunteer tax preparation clinics each year. To find out the location of the clinics nearest you where you can get help with your tax documents and filing your tax returns, visit the CRA website. 

  • On-campus tax clinics

    For a small fee, the Ontario Tech Student Union (OTSU) runs tax-filing clinics on campus from February to May.

    For more information on dates and to book an appointment, visit the OTSU website.

    If you have any questions about these clinics, contact
  • Professional accountants
    You will want to go to an accounting firm (such as H&R Block) or visit a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA). There are dozens in the Oshawa area you can search for. You will want to ask for their rates to compare the costs of service.
  • The Business and Information Technology Society (BITSoc)

    The members of BITSoc are students at our university. They are available as a resource and starting point. 

    Contact them at
  • Tax clinics

    Volunteer tax preparation clinics can be held at any time during the year, however, most clinics are offered in March and April.

    If you miss the tax clinics happening at Ontario Tech, there are community organizations that offer tax clinics regularly.

    Find a tax clinic in your area.  

International students are responsible for filing their own taxes, much like domestic students and other Canadian permanent residents and citizens.