Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Inbound graduate exchange


Graduate students coming to Ontario Tech on exchange will be considered on a case-by-case basis. For information specific to students taking graduate level courses while on exchange, please see the Frequently Asked Questions below. You may also want to read through the information for incoming undergraduate students as some information is for all incoming exchange students.


Frequently asked questions

  • What do I need to know about nomination?

    To be accepted to Ontario Tech's exchange program, you must be nominated by one of our partner universities. Please contact your home university for details about the nomination process. Please note:

    • Entry to graduate level courses is restricted. Students wishing to take graduate level courses will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
    • The nomination deadline is March 15. Nominations for Winter only may be considered later, but the recommended deadline remains March 15.
    • Graduate exchange is not possible in Spring/Summer.

    If your university is not a current exchange partner, you cannot apply to our university as an exchange student. For information about coming as a visiting student, see the admissions information for non-degree track applicants.

  • What are the English language proficiency requirements for graduate exchange?

    An English language proficiency test is not required. Partner schools must confirm that candidates nominated for exchange meet Ontario Tech's English language proficiency requirements at the time of nomination. 

  • What courses can I take?

    Graduate students can apply to take courses only at the graduate level, only at the undergraduate level or both graduate and undergraduate courses. Please ask your home exchange coordinator to indicate in the nomination which course level you wish to apply for.

    Graduate only Undergraduate only Graduate and undergraduate
    Application You will be sent a link after nomination. Please see the undergraduate information. You will need to complete an application as both a graduate and undergraduate student. Please indicate in your graduate application that you are also applying as an undergraduate student.
    Course selection and registration You must select your courses at the time of application. You will be registered in your courses by our team if they are approved. Please see the undergraduate information. You will select your graduate courses at the time of application and need to submit a study plan for undergraduate courses. You need to register yourself in approved undergraduate courses. Registration into approved graduate courses will be done for you.
  • How do I apply?

    Once you are nominated, you will be sent a link to the graduate exchange application. The application deadline is April 15.

    Required documents

    Please note that you will be required to upload these documents to submit the online application:

    • A copy of your passport
    • A current and past transcripts
    • A letter(s) of recommendation from your university
  • When will I receive my letter of acceptance?

    Graduate exchange admissions decisions are normally made in July. After we have received and assessed your exchange application, we need to get course approvals from the Faculties and professors. If you are approved for graduate level courses, we will send you an Offer of Admission (also called Letter of Acceptance). You need to reply to the offer as instructed in the letter. You will need this document to get a Canadian entry visa/Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) and/or study permit.

    Visit our immigration information webpage to learn about the requirements for entry into Canada.  

  • Which orientation programs should I attend?
    All incoming exchange students are required to come to MyStart: International. It is also recommended that you attend the graduate orientation if you are taking graduate level courses. You may register for any additional orientation programs that you wish to.