Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Study Permit Extension

A study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows someone to study in Canada for a specified period of time. In general, foreign nationals need study permits to study in Canada, if they intend to study a course or a program for more than six months.

Ontario Tech University's Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number is O19315945002. The university’s legal name is the University of Ontario Institute of Technology.

To extend your study permit from within Canada, follow the step-by-step instruction guide.

Below, you'll find answers to frequently asked questions about this process. If you do not see your question listed below then you can contact us by emailing or booking an appointment with an International Student Advisor on the Student Life Portal.

Frequently asked questions

  • When should I apply?

    You must apply to extend your study permit before it expires if you plan to continue studying in Canada past your study permit date of expiration. Study permit extension can only be done inside of Canada. It is recommended to extend your study permit approximately 3 to 4 months before it expires.


  • How can I extend my study permit from inside of Canada?

    If you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for a study permit from within Canada and your study permit is still valid, follow the step-by-step instruction guide below. You can apply to extend your study permit 3 to 4 months before it expires. 

    Note: Your study permit will not be issued past your passport's expiry date. If your passport will expire soon, extend your passport before you apply for your study permit extension. 


  • Can I extend my study permit from outside of Canada?

    No. Study permit extension can only be done inside of Canada. If you are outside Canada, it would be similar to your first initial study permit application. You can find more information on our immigration documents web page.

  • How can I extend my study permit?

    In most cases, you must apply online to extend your study permit through the IRCC website. You may be able to apply on paper if:

    • You have a disability that makes it impossible to apply online, or;
    • There is a problem with the online application.
  • How can I restore my status from inside of Canada?

    If your study permit expires before you apply for a new permit, you have lost your immigration status and must apply to restore your status. To restore your status, you must apply for your new status document (study permit) within 90 days of your old document expiring.

    To apply for a study permit within Canada and restore your status, follow this Government of Canada step-by-step instruction guide.

  • What documents do I need for my study permit extension?

    Document requirements may vary from person to person. Create or log into your MyCIC account (online applications) or refer to the Instruction Guide (paper applications) to learn more.

    Generally, to complete your study permit extension, you will need the following documents:

    • Offer of Admission (new students) - Check the expiry date on the offer of admissions letter and this only applies to first-year students
    • Verification of enrolment letter (current students): Double-check the expected date of graduation is correct. If this date is incorrect, ask the Registrar's office or the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies office to perform an audit of your courses and create a more accurate expected date of graduation for you. You can receive this letter by the following methods:
    • Financial Supporting Documents: Refer to the IRCC website to find what are acceptable financial supporting documents. 
    • May need biometrics or medical exam.
    • Scan your study permit and passport together. You must provide a copy of the bio-data page (the page with your name, date of birth, passport number, expiry date, etc.) and a copy of every page in your passport that has stamps, visas, or markings from Canada.  
    • A letter of explanation (LOE).
  • What is a letter of explanation? How do I write one?

    A letter of explanation is a way to communicate to an immigration officer any additional information or documents that deem important for them to know. It could include:

    • The purpose of your application.
    • Issues you would like to clarify or that the officer might find useful.
    • Supporting documents, screenshots or any other proof to support your explanation.
    • Additional employment history if you have run out of space in your application.

    Upload this document under 'Client Information' in the 'Optional Documents' section of your online checklist. Here is a sample of a letter format you could follow for your letter of explanation: 


    Letter of Explanation (Full Name as per your passport, UCI: XXXXXX [if available])

    Dear Officer,

    I am applying for [insert type of immigration document Ex. study permit] and would like to provide additional information to support my application.





    Enclosed are the following supporting documents:

    1.       Supporting document [X]
    2.       Next supporting document
    3.       …. 


    [Full name]
    [Phone number]
    [Email address]
    [Mailing address] 

  • Can I amend my study permit?

    You can amend your study permit if there is a mistake on your study permit. For example, if you’re eligible to work in Canada but your study permit does not state that you “may work” or “may accept employment," then you can amend your study permit before you work or get your Social Insurance Number.

    You can amend your study permit through a paper application. To amend your study permit within Canada, follow these steps.

  • What are the conditions of my study permit?
    • Must remain enrolled each semester (unless authorized to leave).
    • Making progress towards completing your program.
    • Not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days from your program.
    • Inform IRCC if you are changing schools.
    • End your studies if you no longer meet the requirements of being a student.
    Learn more about your study permit conditions on the IRCC website.
  • What if I want to take a leave of absence or take a gap year from my studies?
    If you are thinking of taking a leave of absence or to take a gap from your studies, please visit your International Student Advisor as soon as possible. Learn more about your conditions as a study permit holder in Canada.
  • What if I am on academic suspension?
    If you are on academic probation or suspension, please contact your International Student Advisor as soon as possible as this can impact your immigration status.  When students are placed on academic suspension, they are no longer enrolled and cannot apply for readmission to the university for at least two semesters (see the university's Academic Regulations for details on probation and suspension policies).
  • What do I do if I applied for my study permit before it expires but I haven’t heard back from IRCC yet?

    If you applied for your study permit extension before your study permit expires and you have not received a decision from IRCC about the status of your application, this waiting period is called maintained status . You can keep studying under the same conditions during this period.

    It is recommended not to leave the country under "maintained status". If you do decide to leave the country, you may lose your student status once you return back into Canada.

  • What happens if I do not comply with immigration regulations?

    If you do not met your study permit conditions, Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may ask you to leave Canada. You might also have to wait 6 months before you can apply for a new study permit (or for a visitor visa or work permit in Canada).

    Not following your study permit conditions, or working or studying in a way IRCC hasn’t authorized, could also negatively affect any future applications you submit.

    More information can be found on the IRCC website. 

  • How long will it take to receive my Study Permit?
    You can check the processing time on the IRCC website.
  • What if I change post-secondary institutions from inside of Canada?
    You are not required to have a new study permit for the new post-secondary institution. If your study permit is still valid for the new institution, then you are required to change your Designated Learning Institution (DLI) number online once you have transferred. You can continue to use your current study permit as long as it is valid. This application is free of charge and must be done online.
  • What is the difference between a study permit and a visa?

    A study permit is not the same as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). A TRV is a visa sticker placed inside your passport that allows you to enter or re-enter Canada. Depending on where you are from, you may require both a TRV and a study permit. Foreign nationals of certain countries may be TRV-exempt so they do not need a visa. Find out if you require a TRV.

    If you do require a TRV or a TRV extension, we're here to help. Visit our TRV page to read our frequently asked questions.

The information provided on this page has been reviewed by International Student Advisors who are Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs) and Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs). Please note that the information is subject to change without any notice and this website is not a legal document. Please refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most updated information.