Skip to main content
COVID-19 information and screening Learn how we’re keeping our campus community safe, healthy and engaged during our gradual return to campus.
Note: The university’s mandatory vaccine directive is now in effect. Learn more about vaccine requirements.
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Immigration documents

Once you have received your offer of admission and letter of acceptance from our university, you will need to get your study permit. Exchange students visiting for less than six months may not require a study permit. You may also need to get a visa. 

study permit is a document issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that allows someone to study in Canada for a specified period of time. Learn more about the study permit.

temporary resident visa (TRV) is a visa sticker placed inside your passport that allows you to enter or re-enter Canada. To find out if you require a visa, visit the Immigration and Citizenship website

An electronic travel authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for travelers from visa-exempt countries who fly to or transit through Canada.  To find out if you require a visa, visit the Immigration and Citizenship website

Depending on where you are from, you may require an eTA or TRV and a study permit. To find out if you require a TRV or eTA to enter Canada, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

For your initial study permit application, you do not need to apply for your visa (TRV or eTA) separately. 

Study permit

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

  • When can I apply?

    Some requests can take several days to process if you're asked to submit supporting documents. It is best to get an eTA before you book your flight to Canada.

    If you are a citizen of a country that requires an eTA and you are applying for an initial study permit from outside of Canada, an eTA will automatically be issued upon approval of your study permit application. Your eTA may be issued for the same duration as your approved study permit or a five year period.

  • How can I apply for an eTA?
    The application for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) is online through the Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada website.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)