Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Co-op work permit

A co-op work permit is a mandatory document for international students during your co-op/internship/placement/practicum period. The co-op work permit is only for work that is a required part of your academic program to complete your degree. 

If you are an international student in a program requiring experiential learning such as a co-op, internship, practicum or placement, you will require a co-op work permit. A co-op work permit is not the same thing as a study permit and cannot be used in lieu of a study permit. You are responsible for keeping the original co-op work permit and ensuring it is valid. 

CO-OP and internship opportunities

Co-op work permit application

  • How do I apply for a co-op work permit?

    You can apply online through your IRCC secure account on the Immigrations, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. It is highly recommended to apply for your co-op work permit once you are accepted to a co-op program in your Offer of Admission or approved by your program/faculty to be part of the co-op program. Do not wait until you have a job offer. You must have your co-op work permit prior to starting your work term. 

    You can apply for your co-op work permit during one of the following times:

    • With your initial study permit application.
      • You can use your offer of admission letter as long as it’s valid and it states, internship/work practicum: yes.
    • With your study permit extension application.
    • Separate co-op work permit application.
  • Do I need to complete a medical exam to get my work permit?
    You may need to complete a medical exam to get a work permit if you wish to work in a job where it is important to protect public health (such as health services, child care, or primary or secondary education), or if you will be working in an agricultural job and you have lived in a designated country or territory. A list of occupations that require a medical exam can be found on the IRCC website. You must see a physician on Canada’s list of Panel Physicians on the IRCC website to complete your medical exam.
  • How long will it take to receive my co-op work permit?

    You can check the processing time on the IRCC website.

Frequently asked questions

Temporary Changes

  • If I can work off-campus for more than 20 hours, do I need to apply for a co-op work permit?

    From November 15, 2022, to December 31, 2023, you may not need to apply for a co-op work permit. You don’t need a co-op work permit to complete your co-op placement if you meet all of the following conditions:

    • You have a valid study permit and we received your application for this study permit on or before October 7, 2022.
    • Your study permit shows that you’re authorized to work off campus.
    • You’re eligible to benefit from the temporary policy changeto work more than 20 hours per week while class is in session.
    • Your co-op placement ends by December 31, 2023.

    If your co-op placement ends after December 31, 2023, or if you aren’t eligible for the temporary policy change, you need to apply for a co-op work permit to cover the period after that date. You can begin your co-op placement during this period before you’re issued the permit. Any other employment you have won’t be affected.

  • If I cannot work off-campus for more than 20 hours, can I work while submitting my co-op work permit application?

    IRCC's temporary policy related to co-op work permits is subject to change at any time. 

    Outside Canada

    If you are outside of Canada, you can work while your study permit and co-op work permit are being processed. If your faculty and employer agree, you can either:

    • Accept a Canadian work placement and begin working remotely from your home country
    • Work for a company in your home country 

    Inside Canada

    If you are already in Canada and have applied for a co-op work permit, you may begin your co-op placement provided you meet the working eligibility requirements

    There is no limit on work hours for on-campus work. For off-campus work, from November 15, 2022, and December 31, 2023, if you have applied for a co-op work permit and have not yet received a decision, you can use the temporary measure to work full-time or part-time in a co-op placement or internship related to your studies while waiting for a decision on their co-op work permit application.

    However, if the co-op work permit application is refused, you must stop your co-op work immediately.

    Please note that this only applies if they are eligible to work on/off campus.

Disclaimer: The information on this page is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most up to date information.