Skip to main content
Ontario Tech acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation.

We are thankful to be welcome on these lands in friendship. The lands we are situated on are covered by the Williams Treaties and are the traditional territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation, including Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi. These lands remain home to many Indigenous nations and peoples.

We acknowledge this land out of respect for the Indigenous nations who have cared for Turtle Island, also called North America, from before the arrival of settler peoples until this day. Most importantly, we acknowledge that the history of these lands has been tainted by poor treatment and a lack of friendship with the First Nations who call them home.

This history is something we are all affected by because we are all treaty people in Canada. We all have a shared history to reflect on, and each of us is affected by this history in different ways. Our past defines our present, but if we move forward as friends and allies, then it does not have to define our future.

Learn more about Indigenous Education and Cultural Services

Post-graduation work permit (PGWP)

To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This is an open work permit that allows you to work for any employer and does not require you to first have an offer of employment.

PGWP is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You can’t get a PGWP if you already had one after completing an earlier program of study. Consult with your International Student Advisor about your options. 

If you are intending to apply for permanent residency after you graduate, most of the categories you are or would be eligible for would require you to maintain your temporary resident status in Canada. The PGWP is a way for you to do this while you apply for your permanent residency.

You can apply for a post-graduate work permit through your MyCIC account on the IRCC website. You can apply from inside Canada or overseas, as long as you meet the eligibility criteria. To view eligibility requirements, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Applying for a PGWP

  • How long is PGWP valid?

    The length that a PGWP is valid for depends on the length of your study program.

    Length of Program
    Length of PGWP
    Program length is less than eight months You are not eligible.
    Program length is more than eight months long but less than two years

    PGWP is issued for the same length as your program.

    • For example, if your program on your Offer of Admission says you were enrolled in a nine-month program, a PGWP may be issued for nine months.
    Program length is two years or more PGWP is issued for three years.
    Completed more than one program

    You may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program.

    • For example, if the combined length of the programs is two years, you may be eligible for a three-year PGWP

    You can find more information on PGWP duration on the IRCC website.

  • Who can apply for the PGWP?

    To be eligible for a PGWP, you must have:

    • Successfully completed a program of study that was at least eight months long that led to a degree, diploma or certificate.
    • Maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program.
      • This doesn’t include your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took an approved leave from your studies.
    • Received a transcript and an official letter from the university confirming that you have met the requirements to complete their program of study.
    • Either hold or have held a valid study permit within 180 days of the date of applying for the post-graduation work permit.
    • You have not had previously been issued a post-graduation work permit.
    To review your eligibility requirements in detail, visit the IRCC website.
  • What documents are needed to apply?

    You will need the following documents to apply for a PGWP:

    • Official transcript - You can request this by going to MyOntarioTech and going to the Students records box after you've selected Current student. You can find more information regarding the fees and processing times, on the Registrar's Office website. Please note: If you are a graduate student who completes their program part way through a term, you cannot receive a final transcript until the end of that semester.
    • A letter from the university indicating program completion or formal notification of graduation
      • Undergraduate students: You can request this letter by filling out the Specialized Letter Request Form from the Registrar's Office.
      • Graduate students: You can request this letter on the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website.
      • Make sure your letter includes the following:
        • Ontario Tech University's Designated Learning Institution Number (DLI): O19315945002.
        • The duration of your program of study (e.g. two-year program, four-year program).
        • An indication that you have met all program requirements.

    Learn more on the Government of Canada website and download a document checklist.  

  • When can I apply?

    You become eligible once you have successfully completed your program of study. 

    Apply for your PGWP within 180 days of when you receive written confirmation (for example, formal written notification of graduation) from the university that you have met your program requirements.

    If you plan on staying in Canada and your study permit will expire before you apply for a PGWP, change your status to a visitor before it expires.

Frequently asked questions

Disclaimer: The information on this page is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for the most up to date information.